(Not a Whole Lot About) Sex


Hi ya’ll
Today’s post is going to be short. This week we talked about sex and infidelity. (In a dispassionate tone:) it was cool.
I think that the main thing that I learned personally is that sex is important, but it isn’t the biggest part of life. To quote my psych111 professor, Fred Woolley, (we talked about this in psych this week, as well) “it’s the most powerful form of emotional connection you can make naturally,” and to paraphrase him, it’s also the highest high that the brain can experience naturally and without killing off brain cells. That’s a big deal. Sex is something very powerful. It binds emotionally, it creates strong emotions, it can create another human being. “If handled naturally it can be the most destructive force on the face of the earth” (Brother Williams), if handled correctly it can be a strength to a family and a marriage. But at the same time, people can live happily and successfully without it. I’m a virgin, I’m happy. I’m glad that I have chosen to deal with something that is that sacred, powerful, complex, and life-affecting with only one other person after we have a good relationship, are committed to one another and our values, and are legally married.  And if I never find that person and get married, I know that I’ll still be okay because I can live without sex. What people can’t live without is intimacy. According to the authors of our textbook, human beings need intimacy much more than they need sex, and sex itself will become meaningless, empty, and unsatisfying without that intimacy (Lauer & Lauer 82-83).  Intimacy and companionship are just as important as food and water to human beings’ proper and healthy development, as is seen in the lives of orphans and monkeys in psychology studies. So, while sex is a big deal and should be handled correctly, it isn’t everything and I’m good with that. Which is kind of why I’m sick of talking about it. I appreciate the other things that I’ve learned, but at this single, teen-age point in my life, they aren’t applicable. I’ll save them for a rainy day and dust them back off again later on down the road. I don’t believe in worrying too much about the future or the past. I want to live in the present! while I’m alive.
            For those of you who probably aren’t actually reading this, but, hey, maybe somebody will stumble across it, and are married (or not) and do need some help, (because sex is a bigger part of life for those engaging in it) ya’ll can check out this link and somebody who is more qualified to discuss this can have your attention.
Good luck out there.
Kyann

Reference:
Lauer, Robert H., and Lauer, Jeanette C. (2012) Marriage & Family: The Quest for Intimacy, 8th Edition. Boston: McGraw-Hill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce Issues

Fathers Are Essential